Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Back in Berlin

Amsterdam flight got cancelled and we had to take trains to reach Amsterdam. The story is ridiculous and is worth forgetting. If anyone is really interested, email me. Amsterdam was so much fun. M and I met up with MG and his girlfriend. It was so great to wander the city with the 3 of them and to explore places that I had never been. After the Amsterdam trip came the Munich adventure. I spent Christmas and New Years in Munich. While in Munich, I went to the club P1. It was a lot of fun - dancing and meeting people. I also spent time at M's friends apartments as well as local restaurants and family events. Christmas was very nice. Family coming together to celebrate anything - but holidays specifically - is the best use of time. Family is so important and everyone should not forget that. Family is not always just blood related individuals - family are people you can confide in, feel comfortable around, and go to in times of need.

Anyways I am back in Berlin now and had such an encounter at dinner last night:
At dinner (at a local Tapas restaurant) M and I were waiting for the food so I was snacking on bread. This woman at the table next to us said "Wie krank ist das den?" (my German spelling may be off but I am trying!) and I said "what" and she said it again. Max and her had a few words and then he told me. She said "how sick is that" to what I was eating. She thought balsamic vinegar with bread was gross - and told M that in Italy people eat bread with oil. M told her to mind her own business. She is a cranky, lonely old woman but she is so representative of Berlin. People in Berlin are way more open to telling you their negative thoughts on your behavior. If they see someone committing an unlawful act, or even just something they find gross, the people do not hesitate to offer their opinion - bad or worse. Coming from America where people are extra polite and mind only their own business, the Berlin lifestyle and people are so strange to me. But strange is good. It helps people (me in this situation) reevaluate their own ideas of right from wrong and to learn more about the surrounding world.

I will attempt to be a better blogger - but no promises. As usual, email me and comment on the posts!

Next time I encounter the crazy mean woman from dinner - or anyone similar to her - I will say : Bring mich nicht auf die Palme!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to have you back blogging. I miss you very much. Love you.

    ReplyDelete