Monday, February 14, 2011

Santa Maria

Santa Maria on Oranienstrasse 170. I have frequented this restaurant upwards of 7 times. The food is incredible. Yes, there are the occasional bad menu selections. Such as the chorizo in a black skillet covered in melted cheese. I know, the brief description makes it sound good. But it wasn't. It just was off. The flavor was boring. Anyways, other than that - the food is amazing.

The restaurant is set up that, when you walk in, on the left is the kitchen, to the front is the bar, and to the right are the tables. There is one chef who prepares all the meals. The meals are prepared according to who orders first - so normally I try to order as soon as I sit down... because I am hungry and hate to wait. Impatient for food.

My favorite favorite favorite thing on the whole menu comes free with almost every dish - pickled vegetables, specifically onions. To die for, to quote my aunt. Really, the onions are so sour and wonderful. They go great with all the meals, especially the spicy ones.

Every meal I start off with the guacamole. Then I normally order, sharing with M, a quesadilla, burrito,  or a special for the night/week. I once ordered the salad - good but lacking dressing. Normally restaurants overload the dressing, but here they underloaded it. The salad was filled with yummy goodies such as pears, candied walnuts, and goat cheese.

Anyways, the downfall of Santa Maria... their service. They let me wait an hour before ordering last time I went there. They also have forgotten to bring me portions of my meal.

The food is incredible, the service not so good - but my love for Mexican-style cuisine reigns supreme over mediocre/bad service.

2 comments:

  1. My mouth was watering from your descriptions. I love pickled vegetables too. I made great kobe burgers tonight. Mixed in onion powder, garlic powder, some freshly grated pamesan cheese, montreal steak seasoning, salt & pepper. They were great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great, I know how much you love Mexican food

    ReplyDelete