Monday, February 14, 2011

Holocaust Memorial and Pariser Platz

I visited the following places around 2 weeks ago. Sorry about my laziness with blogging!!

I visited the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin - designed by Peter Eisenman, a U.S. architect. The memorial is of 2,711 concrete slabs put together in a grid-like pattern. The slabs are of varying height - some way shorter than I am while others are much taller. The design, says Eisenman, was created to induce a confusing feeling when walking through. Once inside, you do not know where you are - where the entrance is - and who else is in the memorial with you.

After visiting the Holocaust Memorial, we continued our walk to Pariser Platz. Pariser Platz is in the middle of Berlin and houses the U.S. Embassy, French Embassy, Kennedy Musuem, Brandenburg Gate and many more buildings. The Brandenburg Gate is the symbol of Berlin. While at Pariser Platz, I watched the most amazing hip-hop themed dance, yoga, body themed show. I am having trouble putting a name to it so I will explain. There was a group of around 10 boys who had a prerecorded sound track going. The soundtrack had voice clips, songs, and movie clips. The boys would manipulate their body to dance and move around to follow the soundtrack. They had incredible control over their body. I was so amazed at their abilities - and this has furthered my interest in yoga. I noticed many of the moves they were doing (in seconds flat) were moves I work on in yoga.

Anyways, Pariser Platz was very beautiful. There were many tourists in the area because of its strong historical meaning and central location in Berlin.

1 comment:

  1. The Holocaust Museum sounds great. The one in DC is set up so you feel like you're crowded in. I think they make these museums so you can try to understand what those who were in the camps felt like.

    ReplyDelete