Sunday, August 1, 2010

Rome: Day 2

Although this is my first post from Rome, it is my second day's activities. The first day was all sleep and eat so disregard that I didn't post...

Excuse me for not writing in a couple days but ... Moving on. Yesterday was my first real day in Rome. M and I started the day with shopping at the open market (right outside his apartment). The open market is filled with beautiful fruits and vegetables as well as some clothing and stuff. Then we walked into the city through Villa Borghese which is a huge park that was established by a wealthy Italian family from royal blood so therefore it has nice fountains and old-school buildings and houses. There is a museum in the park. At the edge of the park it overlooks most of Rome - very beautiful. Then we walked to the Spanish steps which is filled with tourists. The steps lead up to the church which is in a Spanish architectural style. This area is known for pick pocketing.

Then we walked around Via Dei Condotti which is a very nice shopping area - has Prada, Gucci, DG, MaxMara, Armani, Bvgari, Valentino, and Furla. We walked around minor streets in that area and ended up at the Pantheon. It is as wide as it is tall (44 meters). It is breath-taking. Then we walked to Piazza Novona (and visited the church in that square) which is filled with artists, caricatures, and people selling fake bags.

Then we walked to Piazza Venezia which is the grave of the unknown soldiers and is a huge traffic point in Rome. Then we saw the American Embassy which is on Via Vento - it is a very nice street filled with lots of hotels and tourists. The street is very winding and awe-inspiring.

All in all, we walked around for 6 hours! My feet were killing me at the end of the day. Then I cooked a traditional Italian meal (eggplant parmigiane) and drank 3 bottles of wine with M and Z (who met up with us again and is now staying at the apartment with us. The more the merrier!)

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're back blogging. Missed my daily dose. J dittos my remarks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're having such a wonderful time.
    Rome is one of my favourites and you will certainly experience great things.
    Keep enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete